It all started on 18 April 2009, Saturday during our regular gynae visit. Everything was going fine until Dr Lee did a scan of Wayne, a procedure he does each time we visited. During the scan, Dr Lee showed us that Wayne’s umbilical cord was round his neck, which was not good, and that we had to plan his delivery soon. And, the cord was not just round his neck once; it was round his neck twice! When Dr Lee told us that, my tears just started to flow. We were just so worried for Wayne. And the fear of losing him after carrying him for nine months was just heartbreaking.
Dr Lee assured us that from the CTG that was done, the position of the cord had not affected the oxygen and blood supply to Wayne but we had to closely monitor his movements. In the meantime, he wanted us to think when we wanted to have the C-section. It had to be soon, one of the coming days. The next day, we also went to Mt Elizabeth in the morning to make sure his CTG readings were still good. That meant that his supply of blood and oxygen was still good. But we had to make a decision when we wanted the operation on Monday morning itself when we visited Dr Lee again. Basically, the plan was as such, depending on the result of the scan to be done on Monday morning:
1) Umbilical cord still twice round baby’s neck – we could choose date of delivery, either Monday or Tuesday
2) Umbilical cord un-entangled – we could wait for natural delivery
3) Umbilical cord more than twice round baby’s neck or CTG shows any deterioration – immediate C-section
Things remained status quo on Monday, which meant option 1. However, as Dr Lee felt there was no point waiting till Tuesday he advised us to have the operation on Monday. We took a while to decide, mainly because I was scared and wasn’t mentally prepared for the operation to be on the day itself. We also had to decide between epidural or general anesthesia. This was easier, I chose epidural as Huakai could be with me throughout the C-section and I didn’t have to worry about not waking up after the GA. Hehe.
Once, it was decided we would deliver Wayne on Monday itself, we proceeded with the administrative matters like getting the nurses to confirm the operating theatre and doing our pre-admission registration. After which, we went home, I took a quick nap, showered and off we were to the hospital at 4pm - our operation was scheduled at 630pm * nervous*!
No comments:
Post a Comment