At work today, mommy was doodling and realized I kept writing Wayne Chan HK, Wayne Chan HK .. Hehe, I guess subconsciously mommy was writing out the names of the 2 boys dearest to me.
Anyway.. Got me thinking bout Wayne's chinese name.. Wayne Chan Zee Herng or Zeng Ziheng. We hardly call Wayne by his Chinese name that it now sounds so unfamiliar and foreign. Although it is his name. And, guess what, mommy doesn’t even know how to write his name in chinese characters!! That’s so sad and embarrassing!! My own son's name! So shameful! Haha. And worse still, mommy didn’t even know what the Zi in his name meant. (But after I found out what Zi means, I now know why no one ever explained what that means.. Cos it’s a tree??? Huh. Well, ok. It’s a name, so if it sounds good, that’s good enough =p)
So anyway mommy has been learning and trying to memorize the strokes of Wayne's name.. Diligently!
曾 梓 恒
Mommy also got Daddy to explain what his name means:
梓 - is a type of tall tree
恒 - determination
So whats exactly in all these Chinese characters that we Chinese believe in and see a need to have it matched with the date and time of birth of the child. Does it really shape the character of the child? Or does it determine the destiny of the child? Hmm.. I don't know. I'm not a believer. How can a name decide how your life turns out to be. 10 strokes + 2pm + dd mm yyyy + add some water/ fire/ wood/ what else = good life ? Hmm, sorry, I'm too logical for that. Well, what I do know, never name your child 'mei li' or something like that, cos chances are she wont turn out so.
So if there even is some truth to these Chinese belief, then what does Wayne's chinese name mean for him? Well, I'm not sure what 'Zi' means, but 'heng' - if Wayne grows up to be a determined person in life, mommy would be quite happy. Determined in the good way of course. Determined to succeed in life. Determined to excel. Determined to fight for what he believes in. The good kind of determination. Now, his determination comes in the form of - "I want my toy" and he wont give up till you give in to him. Determination in the wrong form. And ohhhh, I know what Zi means for him now.. It means he will grow up to be tall! A tall person. Just like what Zi means in chinese - a tall tree. Ooohh… finally I found meaning in his name. Revelation!
I think next time when Wayne goes to school and learns Chinese, mommy will learn together with him. Right from nursery, kindergarten, primary 1,2,3… and so on. Daddy can teach us both together. =)
Anyway.. Got me thinking bout Wayne's chinese name.. Wayne Chan Zee Herng or Zeng Ziheng. We hardly call Wayne by his Chinese name that it now sounds so unfamiliar and foreign. Although it is his name. And, guess what, mommy doesn’t even know how to write his name in chinese characters!! That’s so sad and embarrassing!! My own son's name! So shameful! Haha. And worse still, mommy didn’t even know what the Zi in his name meant. (But after I found out what Zi means, I now know why no one ever explained what that means.. Cos it’s a tree??? Huh. Well, ok. It’s a name, so if it sounds good, that’s good enough =p)
So anyway mommy has been learning and trying to memorize the strokes of Wayne's name.. Diligently!
曾 梓 恒
Mommy also got Daddy to explain what his name means:
梓 - is a type of tall tree
恒 - determination
So whats exactly in all these Chinese characters that we Chinese believe in and see a need to have it matched with the date and time of birth of the child. Does it really shape the character of the child? Or does it determine the destiny of the child? Hmm.. I don't know. I'm not a believer. How can a name decide how your life turns out to be. 10 strokes + 2pm + dd mm yyyy + add some water/ fire/ wood/ what else = good life ? Hmm, sorry, I'm too logical for that. Well, what I do know, never name your child 'mei li' or something like that, cos chances are she wont turn out so.
So if there even is some truth to these Chinese belief, then what does Wayne's chinese name mean for him? Well, I'm not sure what 'Zi' means, but 'heng' - if Wayne grows up to be a determined person in life, mommy would be quite happy. Determined in the good way of course. Determined to succeed in life. Determined to excel. Determined to fight for what he believes in. The good kind of determination. Now, his determination comes in the form of - "I want my toy" and he wont give up till you give in to him. Determination in the wrong form. And ohhhh, I know what Zi means for him now.. It means he will grow up to be tall! A tall person. Just like what Zi means in chinese - a tall tree. Ooohh… finally I found meaning in his name. Revelation!
I think next time when Wayne goes to school and learns Chinese, mommy will learn together with him. Right from nursery, kindergarten, primary 1,2,3… and so on. Daddy can teach us both together. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment