Friday, January 28, 2011

A working mother's struggle

From time to time, mommy gets really upset for not being able to spend as much time with Wayne as mommy would like to. At times, mommy wishes I had the option of being a full time mom. At times, mommy is glad I can still have my career while being a mommy. Sigh.

Times like today, mommy wishes I had more than 24 hours a day. More time to spend with Wayne. More time to do the things that I like. More time to pamper myself.

Its frustrating that no matter how early I knock off work, by the time I pick daddy up, by the time we make our way to nai nai's place, and by the time we get home, it always ends up being 8 plus at night.. just half to an hour away from Wayne's bedtime. Just an hour a day maximum with Wayne in a normal weekday. How sad is that. I just dont understand why I cant reach home at 7pm and spend the night with Wayne.

I can only blame it on the darn traffic. We spend so much time travelling. From mommy's office to daddy's office - its so near yet always so terribly jammed up. On bad days, I can spend 30 to 45 minutes in the jam. And the journey from daddy's office back to Tanah Merah is another 45 minutes in the horrid jam. Factor in time we have to spend at nai nai's place and back again to our home.. another 20 to 30 minutes wasted again. SIGH. All because the time that daddy can knock off work is always the peak traffic hour.

And the frustrating thing is that mommy actually has flexi hours at work. Meaning I could actually avoid the peak traffic if I wanted to. I can start work at 8am and leave at 430pm. And have the whole evening with Wayne! I can even cook dinner every night! But we only have one car.. so if I do that, it means one of us has to take the train to work. Doesnt work out.

So well, maybe it isnt such a bad idea after all if mommy's office really moves to Changi Business Park.

Or perhaps mommy just isnt managing my time that well? How can I juggle this better such that I can spend more time with Wayne?

Mommy really hopes one day I can go on a 4 day work week. That would really help. An extra day off to spend quality time with Wayne, to bring Wayne out for some fun, play with Wayne and even do some fun home activities together. An extra day off for mommy to run errands, do the housework leisurely instead of having to do the laundry etc at night when mommy is already so so tired after a day's work. And extra day off to cook for the family. An extra day off to just stay home, put on my mask, polish my nails, read a book, blog and just relax.

Sigh.

Mommy's U-P-S-E-T.

2 comments:

  1. u already doing very well gal =) Cheer up!
    Yesh, think it would be good that your office moves to CBP so that you will be nearer home! Me too, with the toopid traffic, i always manage to reach home at 8+ and only an hour with Chloe before she sleeps. But definitely you are doing much better than me comparing the household chores you do, cooking etc !!! Jia you gal! Sure things will get better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think u r the best person who would be able to understand how i feel!! sometimes i just feel do tired and at the end of the day, didnt seem to have accomplished much! thanks for the encouragement gal!! yes, it will def be better. =)

    ReplyDelete