Monday, June 3, 2013

Its all about points!

A few months back, after cracking our brains on how to motivate Wayne to behave well (he was getting harder and harder to control!), we decided to adopt the points system of rewarding with him and I must say it has been really effective! We award him points when he does something good and take away points when he misbehaves and when he accumulates a hundred points, he gets to choose a toy. And Wayne being super motivated by toys, its no wonder this system works for him.

Instead of having to repeat "Stop it, Wayne!!!!"countlessly and have our blood pressure soar each time we scream at him (not to mention having our image go down the drain when we are outdoors with all that screaming),  these days a simple "Wayne, if you continue doing that, I will minus your points" usually does the works. Easy peasy, not always fail proof but 8 out of 10 times, it usually works. 

Over the weeks, what I realized with this system is that it actually encourages him to display desirable behaviors more so than as a way to prevent him from misbehaving. With the enticement of more points for him, we have gotten him to go swimming (big achievement!), attend his clay class by himself (big achievement!), agree to take up piano classes (yay!) and the latest feat.. getting his haircut sitting by himself (hooray!). 

You see, in the past, this little boy of 4 years still insisted on sitting on my lap each time he had his hair cut.. so that I could 'protect' him. No big deal, I know, but that meant that I could never bring him for a haircut when it was just me, him and mei-mei out. And yeah, this little boy could do with a bit more guts. 

So at 4 years, finally, it was a haircut experience with him smiling and singing away. Finally...... !







And so.. spoilt as he is by yiyi, after this haircut, he immediately got to choose a present from Toys R Us. He has been looking forward to getting this all week ! 

Thanks yiyi!!




No comments:

Post a Comment