Saturday, September 6, 2014

Saying goodbye to her "P"

It seemed like the bravest thing to do.

Getting rid of Amanda’s pacifier, that is.


It was a ‘Turning 2 years old’ kind of a resolution. Amanda has had her ‘zui ai’ for the last two years, and it has brought much peace to our household each time baby girl went into tantrum mode. Each time she cried, fussed, needed to sleep… swiftly, in went the pacifier into her mouth, and she would mellow. It brought her much comfort, and brought us much peace. But it has been two years, and she is now a big girl (kind of), ready to take on the world herself sans her ‘P’ (as it is affectionately known as). And yes, I was getting increasingly worried that prolonged sucking of the pacifier would result in my princess having bucked teeth. Continue scaring me Elaine, it works.

It has been a bit over her 2nd birthday but we wanted it handy during our recent holiday, so she was indulged in it for a month longer. But 2 days after our holiday, it was time. Hence, 1 September.. it was bye-bye. And guess what? It has been 4 days and 4 nights and she hasn’t really demanded for it. The first night she asked for her P, I told her that “Dr Chan said that you are a big girl now, just like kor-kor, so you don’t need the P. See.. kor kor is carrying his baby to sleep, not eating the P. You carry your baby to sleep too, oki?” and she replied “Oki, mommy”.  I was certainly expecting more drama than that. Not convinced, I was sure she would demand for it a few minutes later but no, she fell asleep just like that. Still unbelieving, I thought to myself, perhaps she was just tired. I bet she would wake up in the middle of the night and throw a big tantrum when she can’t find it and not be able to fall back asleep but again, NO. And the same thing and same thoughts repeated the next night, and again NO MENTION of the P.  How awesome is she!

Now, I’m getting very very hopeful.. praying, and hoping, and crossing all my fingers that it’s the end of the P journey for good, and that I don’t jinx everything up by writing this post and announcing this piece of good news ahead of time. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment