Term 1 came and went by so quickly.
It's funny how this primary school routine felt like the norm right from the beginning. I expected a large adjustment both for him and us, but strangely (in a good way), we hardly felt any.
So it was an eventful Term 1 and we couldn't have asked for more from this little turning-seven years old boy. He looks forward to going to school each day, proclaims that he loves Taonan and takes to his new routine without any fuss. Thank you for that! As a working mom, it's stressful as it is juggling work, housework, kids and everything else there is to take care of (the worst is really coping with the late nights working after the kids sleep). So, for this little boy who cooperates and doesn't add any stress to our routine despite the big change for him - I am so thankful.
So Term 1 updates:
"Cut queue, barbecue, go and marry kaka chew!" or "Ryan Tan, rambutan, born in 1961!". These are just some of the, well, interesting stuff he has learnt in his new school. I wonder what more is to come.
Wayne also started wushu lessons this term. They don't need to have a CCA in P1 so since this came up, we thought why not, now that he still has the time. Lessons are on Thursday mornings and so he has his lunch in school. He enjoys the 'fighting' and I think he secretly thinks that with these wushu lessons, he is going to grow up a kungfu master or something like that.
He was made monitor in his second week of school, pleased as punch with his coveted badge. His form teacher commented that he was one of the better adjusted students and so he was chosen. While we were really pleased (as it got to also mean that he was rather well behaved?), I was also a tad worried that he may take his monitor role too seriously and start 'reporting' his friends' names to his teacher and as a result, erm.. not have many friends. It was after all his first term and he hardly knew anyone, and I really wanted him to have lots of friends and have much fun in school.
But as like most other times, I worry too much, and of course he didn't have any problem making friends. At this age, they play with everybody! He even has a few P2 friends that he plays with after school. But most fun is his time with the boys in his class; especially Ian whom he has declared his 'Buddy Brother Six', telling me he does EVERYTHING with him in school. Don't ask me what Buddy Brother Six means, I have no idea.
Common across all kids, recess time and pockets of time before and after school is the highlight for him as he gets to let loose, run around and play with his friends. Each evening when I pick him up from his school canteen, he and his friends would be having so much fun that I'd almost feel bad for breaking up their fun. I would love to indulge him, if not for daddy and Amanda waiting to be picked up. After a long day at work, this ten minutes of picking Wayne up, watching him have fun with his friends and asking about his day has also become the highlight for me.
In terms of his work, it's pretty much still honeymoon period for him. He hardly has any homework, the only ones are the weekly spelling and ting xie that he has to practise for. He has been coping well with the syllabus, there were a few surprise practice 'test' and he did well, so we are happy. His teachers praised him for his neat handwriting, put him right at the back of the class (reserving the front seats for weaker students) and gave him a bookmark for being a 'hao hai zi'. His teacher told him that she may appoint him to be her 'xiao lao shi' for term 2 and I think he is secretly very pleased and hoping that it happens. In the last week of the term, he also had the experience of being 'punished' for not bringing a piece of his homework to school. He was held back during recess time for a few minutes, which I thought was rather stern, but well, if it helps to make him more responsible over his homework, good for him. =)
So this week, it is playtime for him and he is looking forward to all his free time! Happy holidays Wayne!!
So this week, it is playtime for him and he is looking forward to all his free time! Happy holidays Wayne!!
No comments:
Post a Comment