Sunday, April 12, 2015

Classes - Just how many is too many?

Are all Singaporean kids plagued with endless enrichment classes?

It looks like we have joined the bandwagon.

In just a matter of a week, we have got Wayne signed up on 3 (three!) classes. Art, chess and swimming. 

I actually feel a bit bad for him. I hope I'm not turning out to be a Tiger Mom. But to be fair, two out of the three were requested by him. The last - swimming- was with much reluctance on his part (but essential). Our problem now is how best to manage the scheduling, such that he doesn't get too tired and our weekends are not entirely filled with his classes, leaving us with no time to have fun as a family. It is tough! Ideally, he should attend some of these classes on weekdays after his school, but with us both working, it is hard. I was just trying to arrange a playdate meet up with some friends and their kids, and realised all our schedules revolved around our kids' classes. Oh boy. 

Anyway, last Saturday, Wayne went for his first art class and he loved it. He had been bugging us to send him for art classes for a long time now, so finally! Our budding artist! He dabbled with different materials on a silk screen, and was amazed at how his work could be transferred to a paper. In between, he'd tell me this class is 'so fun' and he'd beam each time he saw his final work being produced. I could tell he really enjoyed his time there. And I, personally, really liked the art studio. It felt homely, the teachers seemed genuinely interested in art and were very patient with the kids.  I thought it was really nice that each term the kids would also go for an excursion depending on the theme for that term, and their excursion experience translated into art back in the studio. Thank you Uncle KC for the recommendation.












As for Amanda...... no don't worry, she doesn't have any! Yet! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment