Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wayne's weaning experience

I attended a talk today on weaning and discovered how lucky we were that Wayne has taken to solids pretty easily. In fact, very easily.

During the talk, lots of mommies there brought up their problems on how their little ones were refusing to eat or only wanted to eat certain kinds of food. Made me realise how fortunate we were that Wayne eats everything! Really. So far, everything we gave him, he ate happily!

Wayne had been on total breastmilk since birth. I still remember the first time we introduced semi solids to him just 2 days before he turned 6 months, on 18 Oct 2009. Gave him cereal, and he loved it! While some babies take weeks before they can have a meal of semisolids replacing their milk feed, Wayne could do so almost immediately! And, since then, each week we had gradually introduced all kinds of food to him. So far, at 7 months now, here's a list of what he has tried:

brown rice cereal
porridge
multi grain cereal
barley cereal
apple
pear
banana
papaya
avocado
spinach
fish
carrots
potato
sweet potato
tofu
brocolli

And, at six months, we also introduced formula milk to him. Started with formula milk once a day and slowly increased the intake as I started stopping expressing. Thankfully, Wayne had no problems taking to formula milk as well! Although he had tasted only breastmilk before, he still drank up the whole bottle without problems, good boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should see the expression on his face when he sees his food - he gets all excited and will keep banging the tray on his high chair! And even before you start feeding him, he will open his little mouth really really wide (I think its really the maximum he can go) waiting eagerly for his food! Looks like a little gold fish! And, that look never fails to bring laughter to us watching!






It has been 2 months now on semi solids and it has been a really fun experience, preparing all kinds of food for him. Now I'm trying to be more creative with his meals, mixing various food together. Soon I'll introduce herbs and spices to him as well!

One thing good I learnt from the talk today - be adventurous when it comes to weaning your baby, let him try as wide a variety of food. Introduce food with all kinds of taste to him as early as possible. This way, he won't be picky with his food next time.

Good luck to all parents out there weaning their babies as well and hope you enjoy the experience as much as I do! =)

1 comment: