12 July 2012
0900 We scramble to get ready and leave the house.
We were supposed to reach Dr Lee's clinic at 9am, obviously late.
Good thing that we stay a stone's throw away.
0915 We arrive at Dr Lee's clinic. HK rushes up to collect the paperwork and pay the surgeon's fees.
Feeling of light-headedness and contractions (HK not me) set in but HK still manages to make
his way to the car in one piece after settling the surgeon's bill.
0945 We arrive at Mt E and HK does the admission.
1015 Brought up to our room by one of the staff. I thought that was quite a nice personal touch.
We settle down in our room.
Soon after the nurses came to introduce themselves and prepare me for the operation.
Had the dreaded procedure of clearing my bowels done.
I clearly remember the uncomfortableness from the first time. It was equally uncomfortable this
time round.
1100 The staff from operating theatre came to 'collect' me.
HK went to get changed into his surgical gown, while I spent the next 20 minutes or so at the
waiting area, answering nurses' repetitive questions.
Dr Dicky Tay arrived. My favorite doctor since 2009.
1130 Dr Dicky wheeled me into Operating Theatre 11. He was amazed I remembered I was in OT 7
the last round.
He started doing his stuff, as with the last time, I experienced zero pain. I'm in awe of him.
He kept me entertained while we waited for the anesthesia to kick in.
Dr Lee arrived, gave me his usual calm and kind "Rachel, everything ok? Ok ah.. we are going
to start now."
HK came in soon after, and held my hand tightly.
Dr Irene arrived too. Gave me a comforting smile (which I saw thru her eyes), and waited at
the sides.
I like this combination of Dr Lee, Dr Tay and Dr Irene. I felt safe.
While Dr Lee started cutting me open, Dr Tay, Dr Irene together with HK and I chatted and
joked over the nickname that Wayne gave Amanda. Dr Irene loved to tease Wayne about 'Bu
pi'.
1200 Dr Tay started pushing, Dr Irene came forward. I knew A was going to arrive anytime soon.
Dr Tay pushed some more. Someone commented she's a big baby, and Dr Irene told HK to
step forward to have a look at baby's head coming out.
HK mentioned my tummy was just a mess and he saw Amanda. I have some pretty awesome
photos of A being taken out, with her umbilical cord dangling out thru the slit on my tummy.
1205 Amanda was out! I heard her loud cries.
Dr Irene did some checks and procedures on her, then wrapped her tightly and presented
her to mommy and daddy.
Mommy's first cuddle. Mommy loves you, sweet.
Amanda and daddy then went to another room for the nurses to clean Amanda up.
Dr Lee continued to work on me, stitching me up and concentrating on giving me a 'perfect'
scar or better still, leaving me with none. That's one expensive belly I have.
As I was recovering from my running nose, halfway through I felt I wasn't getting enough
oxygen (my nose was blocked!). A bit panicky, I looked for Dr Tay and told him I can't
breathe. Dr Tay told me I was probably just anxious as my oxygen levels were perfect. Minutes
later I recall feeling drowsy and again, a bit panicky, I told him I was 'blacking out'. Dr Tay
smiled and with an assuring face, told me "I gave you some relaxant". Ohh no wonder, I felt
better.
1300 Dr Lee completed what he had to do, and I was wheeled to the waiting area to be monitored.
1330 All done! Was sent back to my room, together with Amanda and daddy.
I remember tearing as I was wheeled back. Overwhelmed with feelings. Overwhelmed by the
significance of what just took place the last two hours and probably a sense of relief that
everything went smoothly and we are now proud parents of two little lives.
We are most thankful.
![]() |
| Cold and sterile operating theatre. Dr Dicky Tay at the background. Best anesthetist. |
![]() |
| Still feeling cheery despite being cut up |
![]() |
Baby A is out! Getting the fluids out from her nostrils and checks done on her
general well-being.
|
![]() |
| Baby A in her most natural state, umbilical cord snipped, courtesy of daddy. Daddy mentioned Wayne's cries back then were much louder and stronger than A's. |
![]() |
| Dr Irene Chan (also Wayne's pediatrician) with Baby A. |
![]() |
| Close up of Baby A, looking like an eskimo. |
![]() |
| A's temperature at 21.3, she needs heating up |
![]() |
| All bundled up, love how chubby her cheeks are |
![]() |
| Guess what's that in the bag? The placenta.. which we didn't opt to keep. |
![]() |
| 3.320kg at 37 and a half weeks. Heavy in comparison to Wayne who was only 2.565kg at 37 weeks. |
![]() |
| Cleaned up with baby oil, no more of that white gooey thing she was covered in |
![]() |
| Footprint identification |
![]() |
| Chubby!!! Amazing how she came out from that seemingly small slit on my tummy |
![]() |
| Notice how long her fingernails are? She has the same round face that korkor Wayne has |
![]() |
| Ankle tags that matched with mommy's |
![]() |
| Amanda had this red line across her cheeks, a result of the pushing and pulling during delivery |
![]() |
| Amanda feeling settled now, warmly swaddled |
![]() |
| All ready to be pushed back to our room |
![]() |
| The four of us. I wonder if this would be my last pregnancy. Will there be a third experience? Hmm. |
And so begins our journey as a family of four...
We thank God for a smooth delivery.
We thank God for a whole and healthy Amanda.
And we thank everyone, especially our family members, who supported us in this journey.




















No comments:
Post a Comment